A stye is a bacterial infection of the eye and it can be irritating and challenging to eradicate. You are at risk of getting a stye even if you take good care of your eyes. At Lock Family Eye Care in West Des Moines, IA, we offer comprehensive eye care services including stye treatment.
What is a Stye?
A stye is a reddish lump that forms on the outside edge of your eyelid. It fills with pus when a follicle becomes blocked or infected. A stye can cause other symptoms like eyelid swelling, discharge, light sensitivity, or watery and gritty eyes.
What Causes a Stye to Develop?
Frequent touching or rubbing of the eyes and transferring bacteria are usually the culprits of a stye. Other possible causes of styes include:
- • Leaving makeup on for too long
- • Itchy and watery eyes from allergies
- • Using dirty mascara or eyeliner
- • Any condition that causes you to rub your eyes frequently
There are many steps you can take to prevent styes from developing. They include:
- • Keeping your hands clean and disinfected
- • Avoid touching and rubbing your eyes
- • Do not reuse disposable contacts
- • Use medications for allergies to prevent you from rubbing your eyes
- • Wash your hands before putting your contacts in
It's always best to get a professional evaluation from a knowledgeable and trained optometrist. Our optometrist will evaluate your eyes to determine whether or not you have a stye and provide treatment accordingly. While styes sometimes get better without treatment, but there are situations in which you should seek medical attention:
- • The stye doesn't improve within a few days
- • Drainage from the stye contains a lot of blood
- • The stye grows bigger or swells excessively
A stye will disappear in about a week of topical antibiotic treatment. We may also recommend warm compresses to keep the swelling under control and promote stye drainage. Never pop a stye as the infection can spread to the rest of your eyelid.
Contact Our Optometrist in West Des Moines, IA
Styes can impair your eyesight and lower your self-confidence. The optometry team at Lock Family Eye Care has treated several patients with styes and other eye conditions in the West Des Moines, IA area. Call our office today at (515) 267-1312 to book your eye appointment to learn more about our eye care services and how we can help you improve your vision.